This simple quick-pickle recipe is made by soaking asparagus in a hot brine made from white wine vinegar, water, sugar, and salt, infused with the French flavors of tarragon and shallot.
- Yield:Makes about 1 quart
- Active time: 15 minutes
- Total time:30 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups (360ml) white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups (360ml) water
- 1/4 cup (60g) sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15g) kosher salt
- 1 (3/4-ounce) bunch tarragon
- 1 large shallot, thickly sliced
- 1 pound (450g) asparagus, woody ends trimmed
In a medium saucepan, combine vinegar, water, sugar, and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring, until solids are dissolved. Remove from heat and add tarragon and shallot. Let stand 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, arrange asparagus in an even layer in a baking dish. Pour brine on top. Press paper towels against surface to submerge asparagus and let stand until cooled. Transfer asparagus and brine to a large sealed container and refrigerate for up to 3 weeks.