Summery chilled gazpacho is dosed with gin and spiced up for this light and refreshing take on the traditional Bloody Mary. Served with a garnish of pickled shrimp, it's the perfect excuse to have your brunch and drink it, too.
Why It Works
- Pickled shrimp offer a briny counterpoint to the spicy-sweet, vegetal cocktail. Salting the vegetables before blending them draws out their moisture for intensified flavor.
- Yield:Makes 6 cocktails
- Active time: 30 minutes
- Total time:1 hour
- For the Pickled Shrimp:
- 1 pound (450g) medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1/4 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup (120ml) cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) fresh juice from 2 lemons
- 1/4 cup (60ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- For the Cocktail:
- 2 pounds (900g) very ripe tomatoes, cored and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/2 large English cucumber (about 8 ounces/225g), peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 small red onion (about 5 ounces/140g), peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 red bell pepper (about 5 ounces/140g), cored, seeded, and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) sherry vinegar, plus more to taste
- 1 1/2 cups (360ml) gin
- 2 tablespoons grated jarred horseradish
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice, from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (7ml) hot sauce, such as Tabasco or Frank's
To Make the Pickled Shrimp: Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add shrimp and cook for 1 minute 30 seconds. Drain and shock in a large bowl of ice water. Drain and set aside.
Meanwhile, combine onion, garlic, cider vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, fennel seeds, coriander seeds, and bay leaf in a nonreactive bowl, Mason jar, or other container. Add shrimp and stir well. Place in fridge for at least 45 minutes and up to 2 days.
To Make the Cocktail: Combine tomatoes, cucumber, onion, bell pepper, and garlic in a large bowl and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Drizzle olive oil and vinegar on top. Let stand 30 minutes at room temperature.
Toss all ingredients with a wooden spoon or with your hands until evenly incorporated. Transfer half of the contents, including liquid at bottom of bowl, to the jar of a blender. Blend on high speed until completely smooth, about 3 minutes. Press mixture through a fine-mesh strainer into a large bowl. Repeat with remaining mixture (you may need to work in more batches). Season with more salt, pepper, and vinegar as desired. Pass through strainer one more time.
Pour mixture into a large pitcher. Add gin, horseradish, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce. Adjust to taste.
Set out 6 tall beer or Collins glasses. Fill with ice and pour drink on top. Garnish each rim with 3 pickled shrimp.