Smoky mezcal replaces vodka in this jalapeño-spiked take on the classic Bloody Mary. Served with a crisp bacon swizzle stick, it's the kind of savory, spicy cocktail that's equally at home on the brunch or the dinner table.
Why It Works
- Smoky mezcal and crisp bacon emphasize the drink's savory qualities. Puréed roasted jalapeño adds a complex, fruity heat.
Read more: Four New Twists on the Bloody Mary
- Yield:Makes 6 cocktails
- Active time: 10 minutes
- Total time:30 minutes
- For the Roasted-Jalapeño Purée:
- 2 large jalapeños
- For the Cocktail:
- 1/4 cup (48g) kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 6 bacon swizzle sticks
- 3 cups (720ml) tomato juice or V8
- 1 1/2 cups (360ml) mezcal
- 3/4 cup (180ml) fresh juice from about 6 limes
- 1/4 cup Roasted-Jalapeño Purée
To Make the Jalapeño Purée: Place jalapeños in an oven-safe dish lined with tinfoil and broil, turning at 5-minute intervals, until all sides are blackened and charred, 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool, then add to the jar of a blender. Blend until smooth.
To Prepare the Glasses: On a small plate, combine salt and chili powder. Run a lime wedge around the rim of 6 tall beer or Collins glasses and coat edges with salt/chili mixture. Add a bacon swizzle stick to each glass. Fill glasses with ice.
To Make the Cocktail: In a large pitcher, combine tomato juice, mezcal, lime juice, and jalapeño purée. Stir to combine and pour into individual glasses.