It's a tough call, but I'm almost inclined to say that I like green chili made with tomatillos and a mix of fresh green peppers even more than I like a bowl of Texas red. This version is packed with moist, tender chunks of braised chicken thighs in a balanced sauce that is rich with umami depth and green chili flavor, but still plenty bright and fresh. And the best part: You can make it in under half an hour. All it takes is a pressure cooker and some dumping skills.
Why this recipe works:
- Adding all the ingredients to the pressure cooker with no added liquid makes for an intensely flavored stew that cooks in its own juices.
- Fish sauce adds umami depth to the fish once it's cooked.
- Yield:Serves 4 to 6
- Active time: 10 minutes
- Total time:30 minutes
- 3 pounds bone-in skin-on chicken thighs and drumsticks
- 3/4 pound tomatillos, quartered, husks discarded (about 4 tomatillos)
- 1 pound poblano peppers, roughly chopped, seeds and stems discarded (about 3 peppers)
- 6 ounces Anaheim or Cubanelle peppers, roughly chopped, seeds and stems discarded (about 2 peppers)
- 2 Serrano or jalapeño chilies, roughly chopped, stems discarded
- 10 ounces white onion, roughly chopped (about 1 medium)
- 6 medium cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon whole cumin seed, toasted and ground
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves and fine stems, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce, such as Red Boat
- Fresh corn tortillas and lime wedges, for serving
Combine chicken, tomatillos, poblano peppers, Anaheim peppers, Serrano peppers, onion, garlic, cumin, and a big pinch of salt in a pressure cooker. Heat over high heat until gently sizzling, then seal pressure cooker, bring to high pressure, and cook for 15 minutes. Release pressure.
Using tongs, transfer chicken pieces to a bowl and set aside. Add cilantro and fish sauce to remaining contents of pressure cooker. Blend with a hand blender or in a standing blender and season to taste with salt. Return chicken to sauce, discarding skin and bones and shredding if desired. Transfer to a serving platter, garnish with chopped cilantro, and serve immediately with tortillas and lime wedges.