Indian-inspired ingredients make these Naan Nachos (or should I say Naan-chos?) anything but ordinary.
Why this recipe works:
- The naan bread crisps when baked to support the weight of the toppings better than tortilla chips
- Mint chutney, spiced ground lamb, mango salsa, crunchy chickpeas, and Greek yogurt serve as flavor-packed alternatives to the traditional toppings.
Note: I use ground lamb in this recipe for its flavor and compatibility with the other ingredients, but beef or turkey could be subbed if preferred.
- Yield:Serves 4 to 6
- Active time: 1 hour
- Total time:1 hour 20 mins
- 3/4 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves and fine stems, divided, plus more to garnish
- 1 cup packed fresh mint leaves, plus more to garnish
- 3 jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced, divided (about 1 cup)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- 2 tablespoons juice from about 2 limes
- Kosher salt
- 4 garlic naan breads, storebought or homemade
- Canola oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained, rinsed, and dried
- 1 2/3 teaspoons garam masala, divided
- 1/3 teaspoon plus 1/2 teaspoon paprika, divided
- 2 cups diced fresh mango (about 1 large mango)
- 2 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (about 4 teaspoons)
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup Greek-style yogurt
Preheat oven to 400°F. In a food processor, combine 1/2 cup cilantro, 1 cup mint leaves, 1 jalapeño pepper, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 of the chopped onion, and 1 tablespoon lime juice until completely combined. Thin with water until thick but pourable. Season with salt to taste. Set aside.
Cut the naan into triangular pieces and place on a baking sheet. Brush both sides with oil and sprinkle with salt. Bake until golden, about 8 minutes, flipping once halfway through. Keep the oven on but remove the naan chips from the oven and set aside.
Toss the chickpeas with 2/3 teaspoon garam masala, 1/3 teaspoon paprika, 1/3 teaspoon salt, and 2 tablespoons oil. Spread the chickpeas out on the baking sheet and bake until crispy, about 35 minutes, tossing once.
In a small bowl, combine the mango, remaining 2 jalapeño peppers (seeded and minced), remaining chopped onion, 2 tablespoons of the minced ginger, and the garlic. Set aside.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of the mango mixture and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the ground lamb, 1 teaspoon garam masala, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon ground coriander, remaining 1/2 teaspoon paprika, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring, until cooked through and set aside.
Mix the remaining mango mixture with remaining 1/4 cup cilantro (chopped), remaining tablespoon lime juice, and 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar.
Layer the nachos with the ground lamb, roasted chickpeas, mint chutney, mango salsa, and greek yogurt. Garnish with herbs, if desired. Serve immediately