Tequila, orange liqueur, lime: The perfect margarita is all about fresh, crisp flavors. After testing all the ratios, this is the one we reach for.
Why It Works
- A good-quality tequila needs no sugar, beyond what's in the triple sec, to balance the acidity of lime juice.
- Cointreau makes for a balanced, smooth margarita without taking away from the tequila.
- Yield:Makes 2 drinks
- Active time: 5 minutes
- Total time:5 minutes
- 1 lime wedge, plus 2 lime wheels for garnish
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt, for glass rims
- 4 ounces (120ml) high-quality blanco tequila (see note)
- 2 ounces (60ml) Cointreau
- 1 1/2 ounces (45ml) fresh juice from 2 limes
Run lime wedge around the outer rims of 2 rocks glasses and dip rims in salt. Set aside.
In a cocktail shaker, combine tequila, Cointreau, and lime juice. Fill with ice and shake until thoroughly chilled, about 15 seconds (the bottom of a metal shaker should frost over).
Fill glasses with fresh ice and strain margarita into both glasses. Garnish with lime wheels and serve.