This dairy-free creamsicle smoothie (think Orange Julius with a little more oomph) uses pureed whole kumquats for the citrus component, giving it plenty of bright orange flavor without the bitterness.
Why this recipe works:
- Soaking cashews overnight, then blending until smooth provides richness without dairy and makes the smoothie more filling.
- Pureeing whole fresh kumquats provides a more tart, complex flavor than oranges.
- Frozen mango balances out the tart kumquats, adding sweetness and frosty texture, while still letting the citrus flavor shine through.
- Yield:makes one smoothie
- Active time: 5 minutes
- Total time:5 minutes, plus an overnight soak for the cashews
- 3/4 cup (3 1/2 ounces) kumquats, quartered
- 1/4 cup cashews soaked overnight in a bowl of water at room temeperature
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 1/2 cups frozen mango chunks
- Seeds from one fresh vanilla bean
- Agave nectar to taste
Add the kumquats, cashews, and almond milk to the blender and blend on high speed until the mixture is creamy, about 2 minutes.
Add the frozen mango chunks and vanilla bean seeds and pulse a few times to break up the mango, then blend until smooth, about 1 minute longer. Sweeten to taste with agave nectar. Serve.