This smoothie satisfies all my not-too-sweet breakfast desires with a spicy kick of jalapeño, creamy avocado, a hearty helping of greens, and some tropical flavors to round things out. The end result is a slightly-tart, veggie-packed, green smoothie that doesn't taste too 'green.'
Why this recipe works:
- More mild tasting than kale, chard blends better as well and lets you start your day with a refreshing dose of greens that isn't bitter.
- Frozen pineapple chunks provide just enough sweetness to balance out the avocado, chard, and jalapeno.
- Avocado gives this smoothie a rich and creamy texture and its healthy fats make this more filling.
- Yield:makes 1 smoothie
- Active time: 5 minutes
- Total time:5 minutes
- 1 cup roughly chopped chard, tightly packed
- 1/4 cup avocado (about 1/2 of one small avocado)
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh jalapeno
- 1 1/2 cups frozen pineapple chunks
- 1 cup plain coconut water
Combine chard, avocado, jalapeño, frozen pineapple chunks, and coconut water in a blender. Pulse a few times on high to break up the pineapple chunks then blend on high until completely smooth and no visible pieces of chard remain, about 1 minute. Serve.