The combination of chewy meat, crunchy pickles, and shredded horseradish give this smørrebrød (Danish open-faced sandwich) an irresistible blend of textures. To keep things simple, this recipe calls for prepared roast beef and bottled horseradish.
Note: If you cannot access rugbrød, substitute bread with a dark, whole grain rye.
- Yield:1 sandwich
- Active time: 5 minutes
- Total time:5 minutes
- 1 slice rugbrød (dense Danish sourdough rye bread), about 1/3-inch thick
- 1/2 teaspoon unsalted butter, slightly softened
- 1/8 pound sliced roast beef, cut into about 6 (1-inch) squares
- 4 cornichons, thinly sliced lengthwise
- Thinly sliced red onion, to garnish
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
If not already trimmed, cut rye bread to a 3- by 5-inch rectangle.
Spread butter evenly all over top side of bread.
Arrange roast beef on butter, covering the surface evenly. Sprinkle cornichons and sliced red onion on top. Finish with a dollop of horseradish in the center. Serve right away.