Inspired by coquito, the Puerto Rican holiday punch, this creamy dairy-free, egg-free smoothie is delicious way to start your day with plenty of eggnog flavor.
Why this recipe works:
- Higher in fat than almond milk and not prone to separating when chilled like canned coconut milk, coconut milk from a carton (look for a brand like So Delicious in the refrigerated section) provides the right amount of richness and coconut flavor.
- The caramel notes of maple syrup mimic the flavors of dark rum and bourbon.
- Frozen bananas provide the body and creamy texture that traditionally comes from egg yolks in coquito or nog.
- Yield:makes 1 smoothie
- Active time: 5 minutes
- Total time:5 minutes
- 2 frozen bananas, broken in half
- 1 1/4 cup chilled coconut milk from a carton, such as So Delicious
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, plus more for garnish
Combine the bananas, coconut milk, maple syrup, and nutmeg in a blender. Pulse a few times to begin to break up the bananas then blend on high until completely smooth, about 1 minute. Serve garnished with additional nutmeg if desired.