This holiday season, bring Scotch to the punch-bowl party with these nine star ingredients!
Why this recipe works:
- This punch can be pre-mixed one day ahead for easy party prep day of.
- Chai tea provides tons of flavor without the hassle of having to buy and blend loose spices.
Notes: If you can't find Lustau East India Solera Sherry, which is a blend of Oloroso and PX sherries, substitute another high quality Cream Sherry. To make an ice block, fill a Tupperware container 3/4 full with water, adding rinsed cranberries if desired. Freeze overnight. To remove, let sit 10 minutes at room temperature, then twist to remove, or run under hot water for 5 seconds.
- Yield:Makes 26 servings
- Active time: 15 minutes
- Total time:6 hours to overnight
- For the Vanilla Cinnamon Syrup:
- 4 (3- or 4-inch) cinnamon sticks
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- For the Chai Tea:
- 2 cups boiling water
- 3 chai tea bags
- For the Punch:
- 1 (750 ml) bottle blended Scotch, such as Monkey Shoulder
- 2 1/4 cups Lustau East India Solera Sherry (see note)
- 3/4 cup fresh juice from about 6 lemons
- 1 1/2 cups Vanilla Cinnamon Syrup
- 2 cups Chai Tea
- 1/8 cup Angostura bitters
- 6 orange wheels, star anise, ice block (see note), for garnish
For the Vanilla Cinnamon Syrup: In a medium saucepan, combine cinnamon sticks, vanilla bean seeds and pod, sugar, and water. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, remove from heat and let stand for 1 hour. Strain. The syrup can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
For the Chai Tea: Combine boiling water and tea in a heatproof container. Let steep for 4 minutes. Discard tea bags and let tea cool to room temperature before adding to punch.
For the Punch: In a punch bowl or large container, combine Scotch, sherry, lemon juice, syrup, tea, and bitters. Stir to combine. Refrigerate for 5 hours or up to overnight. When ready to serve, add an ice block and garnish as desired.