Old Fashioned cocktails, made with bourbon or rye, are great for making a big batch in advance of a party, so they're perfect for fall or winter gatherings.
Why It Works
- Stirring a cocktail with ice adds water to dilute the drink. Since this cocktail is chilled in a big batch, that water is added as an ingredient before chilling.
- Making cocktails in advance allows guests to serve themselves.
Read more: How to Make a Classic Old Fashioned Cocktail
- Yield:Serves 12
- Active time: 5 minutes
- Total time:5 minutes
- 1 (750ml) bottle bourbon or rye
- 1 ounce (30ml) simple syrup (see note)
- 10 to 12 dashes Angostura bitters
- 4 ounces (120ml) water
Using a funnel, add entire contents of bourbon or rye bottle to an empty sealable 1-liter bottle. Add simple syrup, bitters, and water and seal. Shake well to mix and refrigerate until ready to serve.
To serve, fill glasses with ice, if desired. Pour 2 to 3 ounces per glass.