Cranberry juice gets a sophisticated touch with the help of sherry in this aperitif cocktail.
Why this recipe works:
- Dry Sack oloroso sherry offers flavors reminiscent of cinnamon, clove, and maple syrup: just the sorts of autumnal spices that we often use in dishes that include cranberries.
- Unsweetened 100% cranberry juice adds a punch of brightness to the drink, lightening the dense texture of Dry Sack oloroso sherry.
- With mostly sherry and just a half ounce of rum, this cocktail is low-alcohol enough to start off an evening that's going to include several rounds of drinks.
Note: To make simple syrup, combine 1 cup water with 1 cup sugar in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved. Cool before using. Simple syrup will keep in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Yield:makes 1 cocktail
- Active time: 5 minutes
- Total time:5 minutes
- 1 1/2 ounces Dry Sack Oloroso Sherry, such as Williams & Humbert Dry Sack 15 year
- 3/4 ounce unsweetened 100% cranberry juice, such as Knudsen’s
- 1/2 ounce gold rum, such as Phraya
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup, see note
- 2 dashes orange bitters
- Orange peel for garnish
Combine sherry, cranberry juice, rum, simple syrup, and bitters in a cocktail shaker. Fill 2/3 full with ice and shake until well chilled, about 20 seconds. Strain into a chilled cocktail coupe. Garnish with orange peel.