A super-simple vinaigrette appropriate for all lightly dressed green salads.
Why this recipe works:
- A 3-to-1 ratio of oil to vinegar makes for a perfectly smooth, thick emulsion.
- Dijon mustard helps emulsify the oil and vinegar/water while shallots add mild sweetness.
- Yield:Makes about 1 cup
- Active time: 5 minutes
- Total time:5 minutes
- 1 small shallot, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 small clove garlic, minced (about 1/2 teaspoon)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Combine shallot, garlic, mustard, vinegar, and water in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Whisking constantly, slowly drizzle in olive oil. Alternatively, place all ingredients in a tightly sealing jar, seal, and shake vigorously until emulsified. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Vinaigrette will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.