In this easy one-skillet meal, cod fish is wrapped in a layer of prosciutto, then pan-roasted until the prosciutto is cooked and the fish within is juicy and tender. Creamy cannellini beans cooked with crumbled chorizo and shallots makes a flavorful accompaniment.
Why this recipe works:
- Using the same pan for the fish and the beans makes this a quick and easy one-pot meal.
- Fresh and dried herbs give the dish a rustic yet bright flavor.
- Yield:Serves 4
- Active time: 25 minutes
- Total time:25 minutes
- 4 tender white fish fillets (4 to 6 ounces each), such as cod, hake, or haddock
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 8 very thin slices prosciutto
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 large link chorizo, casing discarded and filling crumbled (about 4 ounces)
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup homemade or store-bought low-sodium chicken stock
- Lemon wedges, for serving
Season cod with salt and pepper. Wrap 2 slices prosciutto around each cod fillet, overlapping them slightly and setting each piece seam-side down.
In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add wrapped cod fillets, seam-side down, and cook until the prosciutto is crispy on bottom side, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip fillets and cook until the second side is crispy and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center of the cod fillets reads 140°F, about 4 minutes longer (reduce heat if cod threatens to burn). Transfer fish to a paper towel-lined plate, tent with foil, and set aside.
Add remaining tablespoon oil to skillet and return to medium-high heat until shimmering. Add shallot and a pinch of salt and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in thyme and oregano and cook for 30 seconds.
Add crumbled chorizo and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon or potato masher, until browned in spots, about 2 minutes. Add beans and broth and cook, scraping up the brown bits in the pan, until chorizo is cooked through, beans are softened, and liquid is reduced, about 3 minutes. Place code filets on top of mixture, cover, and heat through for 1 minute. Serve immediately with lemon wedges on the side.