These fun and easy vampire mouth cookie sandwiches take their inspiration from s'mores, with a chocolate graham cracker mouth, red-dyed frosting gums, mini-marshmallow teeth, and almond-sliver fangs.
Why It Works
- Cream cheese frosting cuts through the sweetness of the cookie and marshmallow, while simultaneously acting as an adhesive for the whole sandwich.
- Four-inch cookies allow for a more convincingly mouth-like presentation.
- Yield:Makes 24 cookie sandwiches
- Active time: 20 minutes
- Total time:30 minutes
- For the Cookies:
- 1 batch Homemade Chocolate Graham Cracker Dough, raw
- Unsweetened cocoa powder, for dusting
- For the Frosting:
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounces unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Red food coloring
- For Assembly:
- Approximately 240 mini marshmallows, from a 10.5-ounce bag
- Approximately 48 slivered almonds
For the Cookies:Adjust oven racks to upper- and lower-middle positions and preheat oven to 350°F. On a large surface lightly dusted with cocoa powder, roll dough out into a disk 1/8 inch thick. Using a 4-inch round cookie cutter, cut out 24 rounds and transfer to 2 parchment-lined baking sheets.
Place sheets in oven and bake cookies until dry to the touch, 8 to 10 minutes total, rotating sheets top to bottom and back to front halfway through cooking. When cookies are done and still hot, gently slice each in half with a sharp knife or bench scraper. After 5 minutes, remove from baking sheet and transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
For the Frosting: Combine cream cheese and butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and beat until thoroughly combined. Add sugar and beat until smooth. Slow stand mixer to a low speed and begin to add food coloring until it acquires a bright reddish-pink hue, approximately 50 drops.
For Assembly: With an offset spatula or butter knife, spread 1 tablespoon frosting on each cookie half. Add mini marshmallows to 12 cookie halves, starting at the center and placing them side by side along the entire curved edge. Top them with remaining 12 cookie halves. Add a sliver of almond on either side of the center 4 marshmallows, using cookie's frosting as an adhesive if necessary. Serve.