A lightly-spiked take on the classic Almond Joy candy bar in milkshake form. Toasted coconut flakes and rich coconut cream add tropical flavor, while amaretto liqueur adds sweetness and a little bit of booze.
Why this recipe works:
- Toasted coconut flakes blended right into the shake mean plenty of real coconut flavor.
- An ample base of chocolate ice cream makes for a thick, creamy shake.
- Chilling the amaretto in advance keeps this milkshake extra chilly.
Note: Allow the ice cream to soften on the counter for 5 minutes before scooping.
- Yield:makes 2 milkshakes
- Active time: 5 minutes
- Total time:5 minutes
- 1 1/2 ounces amaretto liqueur, such as Disaronno
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened coconut cream, such as Native Forest Brand
- 3 cups chocolate ice cream, such as Häagen-Dazs
- Finely chopped toasted almonds, for garnish
- Whipped cream, for garnish
- Chocolate syrup
Several hours before making the drink, place bottle of amaretto in the freezer to chill.
Preheat oven or toaster oven to 325°F. Add coconut flakes to a sheet pan. Toast, watching carefully, until fragrant and just slightly beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
Reserve 3 tablespoons of coconut flakes for garnish and add the rest to a blender with the amaretto and coconut cream. Blend on high speed until smooth, scraping the sides as needed. There may still be tiny pieces of coconut visible, but they will be very small.
Add ice cream and pulse a few times, then blend until completely smooth, about 30 seconds.
Drizzle the inside of two glasses with chocolate syrup. Divide the milkshake between glasses. Top with whipped cream, the reserved toasted coconut, and toasted almonds.