This cocktail is an apple orchard in a glass, bursting with three layers of apple flavor from fresh sweet cider, 100-proof apple brandy, and fizzy hard cider.
This recipe starts with fresh apple cider, the unfiltered type you find at farmers markets, orchards, or the refrigerated section of your grocery store. If you'd prefer not to make our spiced cider concentrate, you can also purchase boiled apple cider concentrate at specialty stores or online.
- Yield:1 cocktail and 1 cup concentrate
- Active time: 10 minutes
- Total time:2 hours
- For the Spiced Cider Concentrate:
- 4 cups fresh apple cider
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 allspice berries, whole
- 1 teaspoon cloves, whole
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns, whole
- For the Cocktail:
- 2 ounces Laird's Bonded Apple Brandy
- 1 ounce apple cider concentrate syrup
- 1/2 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice from about half a lemon
- 4 ounces hard cider such as Samuel Smith’s Organic Cider
- Apple slice or apple chip for garnish (optional)
For the Spiced Cider Concentrate: In a medium saucepan, combine cider, cinnamon, allspice, cloves and black pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Keep at a simmer, uncovered, until reduced by 3/4, and consistency is viscous like maple syrup, about 2 hours. Strain and let cool to room temperature. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a month.
For the cocktail: Combine apple brandy, spiced cider concentrate, and lemon juice in a cocktail shaker and fill with ice. Shake until well chilled, about 20 seconds. Strain into an ice-filled highball glass. Top with hard cider. Garnish with apple slice or apple chip if desired. Serve