These easy, delicious crostini are topped with juicy balsamic-roasted cherries and tangy goat cheese.
Why this recipe works:
- The natural sweetness of ripe summer cherries is deepened by oven-roasting in a balsamic glaze.
- Tangy goat cheese provides a creamy counterpoint to the soft fruit.
Note: The topping can be made in advance and refrigerated overnight.
- Yield:Makes 30 crostini
- Active time: 30 minutes
- Total time:1 hour
- 30 (1/2-inch thick) slices baguette or other crusty bread
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds ripe cherries (about 4 cups), pitted and halved
- 2 teaspoons canola or grapeseed oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound mild fresh goat cheese, at room temperature
Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Place baguette slices on a baking sheet and drizzle with 1/4 cup olive oil. Bake until lightly browned and crisp, about 8 minutes. Let cool.
Increase oven temperature to 400°F. In a baking dish, toss cherries with canola oil and balsamic vinegar and season to taste with salt and pepper. Roast cherries, stirring occasionally, until juices have mostly evaporated and cherries are tender, about 40 minutes. Let cool.
Spread each toast with about 1 tablespoon goat cheese. Top each with 4-5 cherry halves and a spoonful of cherry juices, transfer to a platter, and serve immediately.