Shredded hash browns are one of the easiest versions of breakfast potatoes to make at home. This recipe produces extra-crunchy and golden-brown hash browns through two key techniques: removing excess moisture and cooking them briefly in the microwave first.
Why It Works
- Squeezing the shredded potato in a towel or cheesecloth to remove as much moisture as possible helps it brown more evenly.
- Cooking the shredded potato briefly in the microwave helps it develop a better crust that remains crunchy for longer.
- Yield:Serves 2
- Active time: 10 minutes
- Total time:15 minutes
- 1 pound (450g) russet potatoes, peeled
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) canola oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Shred potatoes on the largest holes of a box grater.
Wrap potatoes in a kitchen towel or several layers of cheesecloth and twist to squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
Transfer potatoes to a plate lined with 2 layers of paper towels. Cook in a microwave on high for 2 minutes.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. When oil shimmers, add shredded potato. Season with a large pinch of salt and pepper. Using a spatula, press potato into an even layer. Cook until golden brown on the bottom, about 2 minutes. Flip potatoes with spatula and brown on the other side, about 2 minutes longer. Remove and drain on a paper towel–lined plate. Serve immediately.