Shredded hash browns are one of the easiest versions of breakfast potatoes to make at home. How to make hash browns crispy and golden brown, like they should be? This recipe relies on two key techniques: removing excess moisture, and cooking them briefly in the microwave first.
Why It Works
- Squeezing the shredded potato in a towel or cheesecloth to remove as much moisture as possible helps it brown more evenly.
- Cooking the shredded potato briefly in the microwave helps it develop a better crust that remains crunchy for longer.
- Yield:Serves 2
- Active time: 10 minutes
- Total time:15 minutes
- 1 pound (450g) russet potatoes, peeled
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) canola oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Shred potatoes on the largest holes of a box grater.
Wrap potatoes in a kitchen towel or several layers of cheesecloth and twist to squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
Transfer potatoes to a plate lined with 2 layers of paper towels. Cook in a microwave on high for 2 minutes.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. When oil shimmers, add shredded potato. Season with a large pinch of salt and pepper. Using a spatula, press potato into an even layer. Cook until golden brown on the bottom, about 2 minutes. Flip potatoes with spatula and brown on the other side, about 2 minutes longer. Remove and drain on a paper towel–lined plate. Serve immediately.