In this salty, savory bean salad, pepperoni, Parmesan, and a trio of fresh herbs team up for a perfect summertime side. Feel free to mix up the herbs to suit what you have on-hand, but if you use just one herb, make it basil—its anise-like character is the perfect counterpart to the other components of the dish. It's all tied together with garlic, a zingy sprinkle of lemon zest and a lively but simple red wine vinaigrette.
Note: Hold off on adding the herbs until right before serving so they stay vibrant. The rest of the dish may be prepared and refrigerated up to a day in advance.
- Yield:Serves 4
- Active time: 15 minutes
- Total time:1 hour 15 minutes
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup chopped pepperoni
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest from 2 lemons
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced thyme leaves
Stir together chickpeas, pepperoni, Parmesan, onion, garlic, and lemon zest in a medium bowl.
In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
Toss vinaigrette with chickpeas. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight. When ready to serve, stir in herbs and serve cold or at room temperature.