Fresh homemade Mexican chorizo with warm spices and a vinegary tang is cooked until charred and crisp along with onions, poblano peppers, and smoky chipotles. The mixture gets stuffed into soft warm corn tortillas and topped with salsa verde, cilantro, and a slew of other garnishes. It's one of the simplest and most delicious tacos you can make.
A quick, homemade chorizo needs barely any seasoning to form a delicious taco filling, but we add some quick-cooked onions and poblano peppers, along with some chopped chipotle chilies to bump up flavors.
Note: Store-bought fresh Mexican chorizo can be used in place of the homemade. Remove from casings before using. Store-bought salsa verde can be used in place of homemade.
Read more: The Food Lab Rapido: Mexican Chorizo Tacos
- Yield:Serves 4 to 6
- Active time: 30 minutes
- Total time:30 minutes
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 large white onion, finely diced (about 1 1/2 cups), divided
- 1 poblano pepper, finely diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh Mexican chorizo (see note)
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- To Serve (all suggestions optional except tortillas):
- 24 warm corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves and fine stems
- 1 recipe salsa verde (see note)
- 1 cup Mexican crema or sour cream
- 2 limes, cut into 12 wedges each
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco
- 12 radishes, scrubbed clean
- 1 avocado, sliced
Heat vegetable oil in a large cast iron or stainless steel skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add half of onions and all of poblano and cook, stirring, until softened and starting to color, about 6 minutes. Add chorizo and cook, stirring and breaking up meat with a spoon, until completely cooked through and starting to crisp and char in bits, about 15 minutes total. Stir in chipotle chilies and remove from heat.
Transfer chorizo to a warm serving bowl, draining excess oil if desired. Combine remaining onion with cilantro. Serve chorizo immediately with warm tortillas, salsa, cilantro and onions, crema, queso fresco, radishes, avocado, and lime wedges