This simple soup combines dried shiitake mushrooms with thin wonton noodles, chicken, and scallions in a light chicken and mushroom broth. It's an easy but filling meal with delicate flavors and a soul-satisfying warmth. The secret is all in the mushrooms.
Why this recipe works:
- We make a quick but flavorful broth by using dried shiitake mushrooms and store-bought chicken broth. Rehydrating the mushrooms and then coating them in cornstarch and sugar before simmering gives them superior flavor and texture.
- Par-cooking and chilling the noodles allows you to time your dishes to make serving them even simpler.
Note: Soaking mushrooms in room temperature water overnight will produce superior texture.
About the Author: Shao Z. was born in Guangzhou, the birthplace of dim sum, and raised in the Chinatown neighborhood of Philadelphia. As a sibling-less child, cooking was a way to cure after school snack attacks and a way to keep herself entertained. That's how her love for food and cooking started, and it continues to grow. She blog at friedwontons4u.com and is on Twitter at @friedwontons4u.
- Yield:Serves 4
- Active time: 20 minutes
- Total time:1 hour 15 minutes
- 16 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch, divided
- 12 ounces chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon Shaoxing wine
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 bundles of fresh thin wonton noodles
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 3 scallions, chopped
- Sesame oil, for drizzling.
Scrub mushrooms under cold running water to remove excess grit. Place in a large bowl and cover with 2 1/2 cups boiling water. Let rest for 30 minutes (see note). When hydrated, squeeze out excess liquid and snip off stems and discard. Rinse under cold running water again, then transfer to a small bowl. Add sugar, 1 teaspoon vegetable oil, and 1 teaspoon cornstarch and toss to combine. Let rest for 15 minutes.
Strain reserved mushroom soaking liquid through a fine mesh strainer into a medium pot. Add marinated mushrooms. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and simmer gently for 20 minutes. Strain and reserve mushrooms. Transfer simmering liquid to a large pot.
While mushrooms simmer, combine, chicken, wine, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, remaining vegetable oil, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch and toss. Set aside.
Cook noodles in a large pot of boiling salted water for 30 seconds. Drain and rinse under cold water until chilled.
Add chicken stock to large pot with mushroom broth and bring to a boil. Season to taste with salt. Add chicken and cook, stirring, until just cooked through.
To serve, divide noodles between four bowls. Divide broth evenly between them. Top with chicken, shiitake mushrooms, and sliced scallions. Drizzle with sesame oil and serve.