This warm one-pot farro salad is loaded with tender spring peas and asparagus, along with heartier ingredients like kale and crunchy almonds. Tossed with a tangy lemon-mustard vinaigrette and briny feta cheese, it's a healthy dish that celebrates of the transition from winter to spring.
Why this recipe works:
- Using both cooked and raw asparagus adds a variety of textures and flavors to the salad.
- Letting the dressed farro stand for a few minutes before serving allows it to absorb more flavor.
Note: You can refrigerate the salad overnight and serve it chilled the next day.
- Yield:serves 4
- Active time: 45 minutes
- Total time:45 minutes
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces (about 2 1/4 cups), divided
- Pinch dried red chili flakes, or more as desired
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup farro
- 1 quart homemade vegetable stock or low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1 bunch kale, trimmed, washed, and cut into 2-inch ribbons (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- 4 scallions thinly sliced, white and light green parts only
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a Dutch oven or large saucepan until shimmering. Add 2 cups of asparagus and chili flakes, and cook until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
In the same saucepan, add the farro and stock and bring to a simmer. Season with salt and cook until farro is tender, about 30 minutes; add water if necessary to keep farro covered. Drain farro and transfer to a large bowl. Stir in peas and kale and let stand until peas are tender and kale is wilted.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together the remaining 4 tablespoons olive oil along with the lemon juice and mustard. Season with salt and pepper. Fold vinaigrette into farro, add the cooked asparagus, almonds, scallions, feta, and remaining 1/4 cup raw asparagus. Let stand 5 minutes, then toss and serve.