In this tiki-inspired cocktail, a full ounce of bitters plays the starring role.
Note: Passionfruit syrup can be store-bought or made at home. To make homemade syrup, combine 1 cup water with 1 cup sugar in a medium sauce pan over high heat with 1/2 cup fresh passionfruit pulp, seeds, and juice. Bring to a boil and remove from the heat. Add the juice and seeds from 2 fresh passionfruit to the mix, cover and let sit for 30 minutes. Strain and bottle. Syrup will keep in the fridge for one week.
About the Author: Elana Lepkowski is a Los Angeles based mixologist who photographs and shares her cocktail recipes at StirAndStrain.com. You can find her on Instagram and Twitter as @stirandstrain documenting what she drank last night and occasionally a picture of her dog.
- Yield:makes 1 cocktail
- Active time: 5 minutes
- Total time:5 minutes
- 1 ounce Angostura bitters
- 1 ounce London Dry gin
- 3/4 ounce Rothman + Winter Orchard Apricot liqueur
- 1/2 ounce freshly squeezed orange juice from 1 orange
- 1/2 ounce passion fruit syrup (see note)
- 1/2 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice from 1 lemon
- Garnish: Pineapple wedge, mint sprig (optional)
Combine all ingredients in a shaker filled 2/3 with ice. Shake hard for 30 seconds to incorporate and strain into a rocks glass filled with fresh ice. Garnish according to your own inner tiki style.