Note: Bring the mozzarella to room temperature or at least keep it out while you prep the other ingredients so that it melts faster.
- Yield:Serves 4
- Active time: 20 minutes
- Total time:20 minutes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bunches broccolini, stems trimmed and roughly chopped (about 4 cups)
- 2 cups shiitake mushrooms, wiped clean and cut into strips
- 1 pre-cooked pizza shell or flatbread
- 2 balls fresh mozzarella, shredded
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- Dried red chili flakes, for finishing (optional)
Heat 2 tablespoon oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the shallots and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring, until softened, about 1 minute. Add the broccolini and cook, stirring, until it’s started to soften, about 3 1/2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook until starting to brown, about 3 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside in a bowl. Wipe out skillet with paper towels.
Wipe out the same skillet and add the remaining tablespoon of oil. Heat over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the crust, top-side down, and cook until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Flip and top with cheese, followed by broccoli/mushroom mixture. Allow to cook until the cheese has melted, adjust heat as necessary to prevent burning, 3 to 4 minutes more. Remove from the heat, top with the Parmesan and chili flakes, and serve.