- Yield:Serves 4
- Active time: 30 minutes
- Total time:1 1/2 hours
- For the Enchiladas:
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 onion, quartered
- 10 black peppercorns
- 8-ounce package cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 4-ounce can diced chiles, preferably fire-roasted
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 package taco-sized flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded Chihuahua cheese
- Sour cream
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- For the Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 (28 ounce) can green enchilada sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) jar green salsa, such as Mrs. Renfro’s Hot Jalapeno
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can fire-roasted tomatoes
- Kosher salt
Place chicken in a medium stockpot and cover with water. Add bay leaves, quartered onion, and peppercorns, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Simmer until chicken is no longer pink and is cooked through, about 15 minutes.
Remove chicken from liquid. Discard stock or save for another use. Using two forks or your hands, shred the chicken, discarding any fatty or tough parts. Place in a large bowl, along with cream cheese, sour cream, milk, chilies, and taco seasoning. Stir to combine and set aside.
Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat oven to 375 °F.
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. When oil is shimmering, add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 7 minutes. Add enchilada sauce, salsa, and tomatoes. Season with salt, stir and simmer for 20 minutes.
Spray a 13- by 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Spread one ladleful of sauce on the bottom of the pan. Working one at a time, dip enchiladas in sauce to coat and spoon about 1/3 cup of filling along the center of the tortilla. Roll tortilla over filling and place seam-side down in the prepared baking pan. Repeat the process until filling is gone, tightly packing enchiladas side by side in a row. Top with cheese and transfer to the oven to bake until brown and bubbly, about 35 minutes.
Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes. Serve with sour cream and limes.