- Yield:Serves 4 to 6
- Active time: 20 minutes
- Total time:8 1/2 hours
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small beef chuck roast, about 2 pounds total
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 (10.5 ounce can) low-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared grainy mustard
- 1 teaspoon sherry or red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup dry sherry
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 12-ounce package egg noodles
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced flat-leaf parsley
Heat oil in a large sauté pan over Dutch oven over high heat. Season meat generously with salt and pepper. When oil is shimmering, brown meat for 3 to 5 minutes and flip and cook for another 3 minutes. Transfer meat to a slow cooker and add onion, garlic, beef broth, Worcestershire, mustard, vinegar, sherry and bay leaves. Season with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
When meat is fall-apart-tender, shred into chunks, removing and discarding any fatty parts. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Keep warm.
Transfer liquid to a medium-sized saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk in flour, taking care there are no lumps. Add sour cream and whisk to combine. Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes to allow sauce to thicken. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Cook noodles according to package directions and divide between individual bowls. Top with meat and spoon sauce on top. Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.