This quiche is a filling meal, studded with soft potatoes and tart goat cheese that will keep you satisfied but won't have you retiring to the couch to recover.
- Yield:Serves 6
- Active time: 20 minutes
- Total time:1 hour 30 minutes
- 1 recipe pie crust (for single crust pie)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 medium Yukon Gold potato, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 10 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed of all excess liquid
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup fresh goat cheese
Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat to 400°F. Roll out pie dough and place in a 9-inch pie plate. Gently prick pie dough all over with a fork making sure that you don't fully puncture the dough. Cover with foil, weight down with pie weights, and refrigerate for 15 minutes. Place in the oven and bake until browned, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and reserve.
Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, about 4 minutes. Add potato, toss to combine, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until potato is tender, about 8 minutes. Add drained spinach and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Transfer spinach mixture to pie crust. Whisk together eggs and milk then pour over spinach mixture. Dot with goat cheese, pressing the cheese into the quiche so that it's covered with egg mixture. Place in the oven and bake until quiche is puffy and beginning to brown in spots, about 35 minutes. Allow to cool before slicing and serving.