Read more: Grilling: MOINK Balls
- Yield:Serves 8 as an appetizer
- Active time: 30 minutes
- Total time:1 hour
- 1 1/2 pound ground beef chuck, at least 20% fat
- 3/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons freshly minced garlic, about 2 cloves (optional)
- 1/2 lb bacon, halved
- 1/4 cup of your favorite barbecue rub, divided
- 1 small chunk of medium smoking wood, such as oak or hickory
- 1 cup of your favorite barbecue sauce
- Type of fire: two-zone indirect
- Grill heat: medium
Place ground beef, bread crumbs, eggs, and garlic in a large bowl. Using your hands, mix together until thoroughly combined.
Roll out meat mixture into balls 1 inch in diameter. Wrap half a slice of bacon around each meatball and secure with a toothpick. Season meatballs generously with barbecue rub.
Light one chimney full of charcoal. When all the charcoal is lit and covered with gray ash, pour out and arrange the coals on one side of the charcoal grate. Place wood chunk directly on coals. Set cooking grate in place, cover grill and allow to preheat for 5 minutes. Clean and oil the grilling grate. Place meatballs on cool side of grill, cover, and cook until cooked through and bacon has browned, about 20 minutes. Brush meatballs with barbecue sauce, cover grill, and continue to cook until sauce has set, about 5 minutes. Remove from grill, let rest for 5 minutes, then serve.