Adding a little cooked oatmeal to this blueberrry smoothie means it has serious staying power.
Note: This recipe is a great way to use leftover cooked oats. If you need to make some from scratch, bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add ½ cup steel cut oats. Reduce heat to low and cook oats for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Let cool before using.
- Yield:makes 2 servings
- Active time: 15 minutes
- Total time:15 minutes
- 2 cups unsweetened soy milk, such as Silk, or dairy milk
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 1 cup cooked, cooled steel cut oats (see note)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon zest and 2 teaspoons juice from 1 lemon
Place soy milk, blueberries, steel cut oats, honey, ginger, vanilla, lemon zest, and lemon juice into blender. Blend until smooth, about 40 seconds. Serve.