- Yield:Makes 6 medium or 5 large burgers
- Active time: 35 minutes
- Total time:35 minutes
- 5 tablespoons canola or grapeseed oil, divided
- 3 large leeks, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced and rinsed of any grit
- 2 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 pound ground turkey, preferably dark meat
- 1 cup ricotta cheese, preferably whole milk
- 1/2 cup fine fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh dill leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Buns, for serving
- Lettuce, for serving
- Mustard, mayonnaise or barbecue sauce, for serving
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-low heat until shimmering. Add leeks and cook, stirring, until translucent and tender but not browned, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes more. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
Combine turkey, ricotta, breadcrumbs, leek mixture, and dill and season generously with salt and pepper. Using your hands, mix until combined. Form mixture into 6 medium or 5 large burgers and set on a plate.
Wipe out skillet. Add remaining oil and heat over high until shimmering. Add burgers and cook for 7-8 minutes per side. Transfer burgers to a platter, tent with tin foil, and let rest for 5 minutes. Toast buns, if desired, and serve burgers with condiments and fresh lettuce.