- Yield:Serves 4
- Active time: 15 minutes
- Total time:45 minutes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 garlic clover, finely chopped
- 5 ounces (about 3/4 cup) picked over crab meat
- 4 scallions, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cups milk
- 6 cups cubed Italian bread (about 1/2 loaf)
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper
Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat to 375[°]. Heat butter in a medium skillet over medium heat, when melted add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes then add crab and scallions. Cook stirring often until crab is fully warm. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
In a large bowl whisk together eggs, milk, and pinch of red pepper flakes. Toss milk mixture with bread and let sit for 5 minutes. Place in greased square pan and bake until puffed and golden, about 30 minutes. Serve with scallions and a dollop of sour cream if desired.