The ultimate English muffin pizza made with a fresh tomato sauce and crisp pepperoni.
- Yield:Makes 8 English muffin pizzas
- Active time: 20 minutes
- Total time:30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley leaves, divided
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil leaves, divided
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (14-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 stick pepperoni, preferably natural casing, cut into 32 slices
- 4 English muffins, split in half
- 4 ounces grated Mozzarella cheese
- 2 ounces grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
Adjust oven rack to upper middle position and preheat oven to 500°F. Heat oil and butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat until butter is melted. Add garlic, 1 tablespoon parsley, 1 tablespoon basil, pepper flakes, and oregano and cook, stirring frequently until aromatic, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes and sugar. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly thickened, about 15 minutes total. Season to taste with salt and pepper and stir in another tablespoon of parsley and a tablespoon of basil.
While sauce is cooking, heat half of pepperoni slices in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat until cupped and crisp around edges, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a large plate, leaving rendered fat in pan. Add four English muffin halves cut-side-down to skillet and swirl to pick up all fat. Cook until well-toasted, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a foil-lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining pepperoni and English muffin halves.
Coat each English muffin half with sauce. Spread half an ounce of mozzarella on each English muffin, followed by 1/4 ounce of Parmesan cheese. Place 4 pepperoni slices on top of each pizza and top with a little bit more grated Parmesan.
Bake until English muffins are crisp underneath and cheese is melted and just starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Top with extra Parmesan cheese immediately after removing from oven. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with remaining parsley and basil, and serve.