Rich, smoky mezcal provides the base for this autumnal riff on a margarita.
Note: I followed this recipe for pumpkin butter, but you could also use something store-bought and adjust for sweetness as needed.
Read more: 3 Pumpkin Cocktails to Make at Home
- Yield:serves 2
- Active time: 5 minutes
- Total time:5 minutes
- For the Five Spice Salt:
- 1 teaspoon five spice powder
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- For the Cocktail:
- 3 ounces mezcal joven, such as Sombra
- 3 ounces freshly squeezed orange juice, from 2 to 3 oranges
- 4 tablespoons pumpkin butter (see Notes)
- 1/2 ounce lime juice, from one lime
For the Five Spice Salt: Mix together five spice powder and salt. Store in a small jar until ready to use.
For the Cocktail: Moisten the rim of two rocks glasses with lime juice, rim with five spice salt, and set aside. Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add the mezcal, orange juice, pumpkin butter, and lime juice. Shake until well-chilled, about 20 seconds. Add fresh ice to prepared glasses and strain cocktail into glasses.