Notes:Challah bread or regular white bread can also be used. If using Challah, since the slices will be larger, make a total of 4 1-inch slices, and serve one piece per person. Don't coat the pieces of French toast with the topping in advance or it will get soggy.
This post was created in partnership with Hello Cereal Lovers
- Yield:Serves 4
- Active time: 45 minutes
- Total time:45 minutes
- 8 tablespoons (4 ounces) unsalted butter, divided
- 4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, sliced into 1/8-thick slices
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/4 plus 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups Cinnamon Toast Crunch® cereal, lightly crushed, divided
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, crushed
- 4 ounces mascarpone cheese (or cream cheese), softened
- 1 French baguette (not too dense), (see note)
Heat 3 tablespoons butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. When the foaming subsides, add apples and cook, stirring occasionally, until apples have softened and are beginning to caramelize, 8 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons granulated sugar and ¼ teaspoon cinnamon over apples. Cook until apples are golden, about 2 minutes more. Transfer apples to bowl and let cool.
Whisk milk, cream, eggs, brown sugar, salt, and vanilla in shallow bowl until combined. Toss 2 cups Cinnamon Toast Crunch® cereal and almonds in pie plate to combine. Stir mascarpone with remaining 4 teaspoons granulated sugar until smooth.
Cut 1 inch slices of French bread on the bias. Carefully slice a deep pocket into each piece. Spread cream cheese mixture into each pocket, then fill with cooked apples.
Heat 1 tablespoon butter in large clean nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Dip each filled French toast into egg-milk mixture (soaking well) and then coat well with Cinnamon Toast Crunch® cereal mixture, pressing to adhere. Place 4 pieces in pan and cook until cooked through and golden brown on both sides, pressing gently with spatula and adding extra butter as needed, about 3 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining pieces of bread. Serve with powdered sugar and remaining Cinnamon Toast Crunch® cereal sprinkled over the top.
©2013 and ®/™ of General Mills