These biscotti are made with olive oil, lemon juice and zest, and sesame seeds. They are basically unsweetened, meant to be eaten with a cup of strong, sweet coffee. If you like, increase the sugar to 1/2 cup.
adapted from Nancy Gaifyllia
- Yield:makes 5 dozen cookies
- Active time: 30 minutes
- Total time:1 1/2 hours
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons pulp-free orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 1/2 cups (about 17 1/2 ounces) all purpose flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest and 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, from about 2 lemons
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/3 cup (about 2 1/2 ounces) sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
Adjust oven rack to middle and upper middle positions and preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. In a large bowl, combine orange juice and baking soda; set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon; set aside.
Add olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, and warm water to bowl with orange juice and whisk to combine. Add sugar and whisk until well combined and lightened, about 3 minutes. Add flour mixture and stir to combine. Stir in sesame seeds.
On a lightly floured surface, kneed dough until it it smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Form the dough into four equal logs, each about 14-inches long. Transfer two to each baking sheet. Score the each log with 1/3-inch slices, cutting close to the bottom but not all the way through the dough.
Bake logs unti golden on top, about 15 minutes. Take cookies out of oven and decrease temperature to 200°F.
When logs are cool enough to handle, use a serrated knife to cut into individual cookies. Place cookies back in the oven and bake until dry, about 1 hour.