Read more: Dinner Tonight: Shrimp and Grits Tacos
- Yield:serves 4
- Active time: 30 minutes
- Total time:30 minutes
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup coarse ground grits
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, finely grated (about 1 cup)
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 medium white onion, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 serrano chilies, stemmed, seeded, and chopped (about 2 tablepsoons)
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 pound cherry tomatoes, quartered (about 1 quart)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 12 corn tortillas, warmed
- 2 limes, quartered
Bring water and milk to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Whisk in the grits and 2 teaspoons kosher salt. Reduce heat to a bare simmer and cook, stirring every other minute, until grits are creamy, 20 to 25 minutes.
When grits are done, turn off heat and stir in 2 tablespoons butter and cheddar cheese. Season with lots of black pepper. Cover and set aside.
Meanwhile, melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. When butter stops foaming add shrimp. Cook until pink on the bottom, about 1 minute. Flip and cook until pink on the other side and firm, about 1 minute longer. Season with salt and pepper to taste and transfer to a bowl with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Add the onion, serranos, and garlic to the skillet and cook, stirring, until onion is translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook until they soften, release their juice, and make a thick sauce, about 4 minutes. Add half of the cilantro and season with salt and pepper. Turn off heat and stir the shrimp back in.
Smear some of the grits on a tortilla and top with shrimp and salsa mixture. Garnish with more cilantro. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Serve tacos with lime wedges.