A quick brunch based on the classic combination of salty sausage and sweet peppers, topped off with a gooey, soft egg yolk. If you're planning a brunch for a group you can prepare the sausage and roast off the peppers the day before, then simply break the egg over them and put them in a preheated oven when your guests arrive.
- Yield:Serves 4
- Active time: 10 minutes
- Total time:25 minutes
- 1/2 pound bulk breakfast sausage, crumbled
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 red bell peppers, cut in half lengthwise, seeds and inner membranes removed
- 4 eggs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat to 400[°]. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add sausage and onion, cook until onions are soft and sausage is fully cooked.
Place halved peppers cut-side up on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet or in a glass baking dish. Filleach pepper with sausage mixture. Bake for 10 minutes, remove from the oven, and carefully break an egg into each pepper. Season with salt and pepper. Return to the oven and cook until whites are set, about 10 minutes. Serve hot from the oven garnished with parsley.