A quick brunch based on the classic combination of sausage and peppers, topped off with an egg.
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
- Yield:Serves 4
- Active time: 10 minutes
- Total time:25 minutes
- 1/2 pound bulk breakfast sausage, crumbled
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 red bell peppers, cut in half lengthwise, seeds and inner membranes removed
- 4 eggs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat to 400[°]. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add sausage and onion, cook until onions are soft and sausage is fully cooked.
Place halved peppers cut-side up on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet or in a glass baking dish. Filleach pepper with sausage mixture. Bake for 10 minutes, remove from the oven, and carefully break an egg into each pepper. Season with salt and pepper. Return to the oven and cook until whites are set, about 10 minutes. Serve hot from the oven garnished with parsley.