Two layers of buttery crumb sandwich a sweet middle made from fresh raspberries.
Read more: Cookie Monster: Raspberry Crumb Bars
- Yield:makes 12 to 24 bars depending on how large you cut them
- Active time: 20 minutes
- Total time:1 hour 10 minutes, plus 20 minutes cooling
- For the Filling:
- 14 ounces (about 3 cups) raspberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon minute tapioca
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- For Shortbread Layers
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 16 tablespoons (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, diced
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 375°F. Grease baking pan with butter.
For the Filling: In a medium bowl, combine raspberries, sugar, tapioca, and lemon juice; set aside.
For Shortbread: In the bowl of a food processor, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt; pulse 5 times to combine. Add butter and pulse until it is the size of peas, 5-10 pulses. Add egg and heavy cream and pulse until dough just comes together (it will be crumbly but should cohere when pressed down lightly by your fingertips.)
Press enough of dough in pan to form a 1/4 inch layer, which should use just over 1/2 the dough. Cover with raspberries. Dot raspberries with chunks of remaining dough. Bake until top is golden and berries are bubbling, about 50 minutes. Let cool 20 minutes before cutting.