A North African sauce traditionally paired with grilled seafood, chermoula is a delicious mix of fresh herb, earthy spices, and acidic preserved lemon.
- Yield:makes about 1 1/2 cups
- Active time: 10 minutes
- Total time:10 minutes
- 1 cup packed cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup packed parsley leaves
- 4 medium cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/4 cup preserved lemon juice, or 1/3 cup of regular lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed saffron
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Kosher salt, to taste
Place cilantro, parsley, and garlic in the workbowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Pulse until all ingredients are finely chopped, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl as necessary.
Add preserved lemon juice, paprika, cumin, cayenne, and saffron and pulse to combine.
With motor running, drizzle olive through feed tube. Process until sauce is uniform. Use immediately or transfer to an airtight container and store in refrigerator for up to 2 days.