Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
- Yield:Serves 4
- Active time: 30 minutes
- Total time:30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 large Yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 8 eggs
- Sliced scallions, to garnish
Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium high heat until shimmering. Add potato, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring and tossing occasionally, until cooked through and starting to brown, about 10 minutes. Add onion and cook stirring often until onions begin to brown, about 4 minutes longer.
Remove skillet from heat and toss potatoes with 1/4 cup of shredded cheese (the cheese will sizzle) then spread potatoes into an even layer, making 8 wells in the top. Break eggs into each of the wells, sprinkle remaining cheese on top, and place back over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper, cover, and cook until the egg whites are set but the yolks are still runny, about 5 minutes