Note: In the summer, when the tomatoes have a bit more flavor, I prefer to make this salad without the olives so that the tomato flavor can come through more. It's totally up to you.
- Yield:Serves 4
- Active time: 10 minutes
- Total time:30 minutes
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1 English cucumber, split into quarters lengthwise and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- Kosher salt
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced from pole to pole
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives (optional, see note)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon juice from 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
Combine tomatoes and cucumbers in a large bowl. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and toss to coat. Transfer to a fine mesh strainer and set over bowl. Set aside to drain, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, place onions in a medium bowl and cover with lukewarm water. Rinse and drain thoroughly. Repeat 2 more times until onions lose most of their pungency and taste sweet.
When tomatoes and cucumbers are drained, combine with onions, feta, olives (if using), mint, oregano, lemon juice, and olive oil in a large bowl and toss to combine. Season to taste with pepper and more salt if desired (the feta is salty so you may not need any extra salt)