- Yield:serves 4
- Active time: 30 minutes
- Total time:1 hour 45 minutes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 1 large red bell pepper, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 jalapeño peppers, halved, seeded, finely chopped
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced (2 teaspoons)
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds, ground with spice grinder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup chopped grape tomatoes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 24 ounces ground chicken
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice from one lime
- 1/2 cup homemade or store-bought low sodium chicken stock
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese, grated on box grater
- 9 ounces tortila chips, finely crushed
- 8 ounces tomatillos, pulsed in processor until crushed
Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 375°F. Line 9- by 5-inch loaf pan with foil and spray with pan spray. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat to shimmering. Add onions, pepper, jalapeños, and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, 6 to 8 minutes.
Stir in garlic, cumin, cayenne, coriander, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and tomatoes. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Transfer to large bowl and cool briefly, about 10 minutes. Add chicken, eggs, cilantro, lime juice, broth, cheese, chips and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Toss gently until thoroughly combined. Gently pack into loaf pan.
Bake 30 minutes. Stir crushed tomatillos with 1/4 teaspoon salt and spread over top of casserole. Continue to bake until the center of the casserole registers 160°F on an instant read thermometer, about 30 minutes more. Let rest in pan 10 minutes. Lift out of pan, slice and serve.