Read more: British Bites: Oatcakes
- Yield:Makes 10 cakes
- Active time: 40 minutes
- Total time:1 hour 40 minutes
- 1 cup (about 5 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cups oats
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 packet rapid-rise yeast
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Optional fillings: bacon, sautéed mushrooms, leftover roast, maple syrup, sautéed apples
In a large bowl whisk together flour, oats, sugar, salt, and yeast. Whisk in 2 cups warm water. Cover with a large towel and let sit until mixture is bubbly, about 1 hour.
Whisk baking soda and baking powder into batter. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add batter to the pan by the 1/4 cup (you will have to work in batches). Cook until bubbles form on the top of the oatcake, about 2 minutes, then flip and cook until the under side is brown, about 1 more minute. Repeat until batter is gone, then serve immediately with any of the additional toppings.