Crackly and shiny on the outside, molten chocolate on the inside.
Notes: I fold in the chocolate chips after chilling just to make sure the batter won't melt the chips. 1/2 cup chopped walnuts are a good addition to this recipe.
Read more: Chocoholic: Chocolate Chip Brownie Cookies
- Yield:makes 13 to 15 cookies
- Active time: 15 minutes
- Total time:1 hour
- 4 tablespoons (2 ounces) unsalted butter
- 5 ounces 70% bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup (7 ounces) granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons (about 4 1/2 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
In heatproof bowl, melt butter, 70% chocolate, and unsweetened chocolate in the microwave or over a pan of barely simmering water until just-melted and smooth. Let cool slightly.
Beat eggs, sugar, and salt with mixer fitted with whip attachment on medium-high speed until lightened, about 2 minutes. On low speed stir in chocolate mixture and vanilla until combined.
In small bowl whisk flour with baking powder. Stir into chocolate mixture. Chill until firm enough to scoop, about 30 minutes. Fold in chocolate chips (see note).
Adjust oven rack to upper-middle and lower-middle positions and preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Scoop 1/4-cup balls onto sheets, spacing at least 2 inches apart (about 7 per pan). Bake until puffed and just beginning to crack, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool on the pan 5 minutes, then gently transfer to wire rack.