This fresh, tangy, and fruity sweet pepper relish livens up a homely hot dog in a way fitting for the start of a new grilling season.
Read more: Sauced: Tricolor Sweet Pepper Relish
- Yield:makes about 1 1/2 cups
- Active time: 15 minutes
- Total time:35 minutes
- 4 cups water
- 1 large red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into 1/8-inch dice
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into 1/8-inch dice
- 1 large orange bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into 1/8-inch dice
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seeds
Bring 4 cups of water to a boil in a small saucepan over high heat. Removed from heat, add in diced peppers and let steep for 5 minutes. Strain peppers through fine mesh strainer.
Add in vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds, salt, and celery seeds into now empty saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar.
Add peppers and simmer, stirring occasionally, until little liquid remains, 15-20 minutes. Transfer relish to a jar, let cool slightly, then cover and place in refrigerator until completely chilled. Store in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.