Note: Leave out the jalapeno and season with 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried red chili flake if you'd like to have more control over the heat level in the dish. Also feel free to substitute broccoli with other vegetables if you like to cook with the seasons.
- Yield:Serves 3 to 4
- Active time: 20 minutes
- Total time:50 minutes
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot, roughly chopped
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, roughly chopped (see note)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup pearled barley
- 3 ½ cups homemade vegetable stock or store-bought low-sodium vegetable broth
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the shallots, jalapeno and a pinch of salt and cook until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and broccoli and cook until the broccoli has browned slightly, 4 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Add the barley and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to maintain a gentle simmer and allow the barley to cook until the liquid is absorbed and the barley has softened, 35 to 40 minutes. Adjust the seasoning to taste (remember that the feta will add a fair amount of salt). Stir in up to 1/2 cup extra broth if a looser consistency is desired. Top with crumbled feta and serve