While this cake is not lacking in depth of flavor, if you're hankering for an even richer, butterier taste, double the glaze amount and pour half over the cake once cooled.
Read more: Win, Place, Show: 3 Derby Day Sweets
- Yield:Makes one 10-inch bundt cake
- Active time: 30 minutes
- Total time:1 hour 30 minutes
- For the Cake:
- 3 cups (about 15 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (about 15 ounces) light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup (about 8 ounces) half-and-half
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter (melted)
- 4 medium eggs
- For the Glaze:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 cup (7 ounces) sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
For the Cake: Adjust oven rack to center position and preheat oven to 325°F. Grease a 10-inch bundt pan. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium bowl. Whisk until homogenous. Add half-and-half, butter, and eggs. Beat using a handheld electric mixer until combined, and pour batter into pan. Transfer to oven and bake until a toothpick inserting in the center comes out clean, about one hour.
For the Glaze:Combine butter, sugar, and vanilla in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir continuously until completely melted and combined. (Do not allow glaze to boil.)
Assembling the Cake: While the cake is still warm and in the pan, use a wooden skewer to poke 8-10 small holes in the cake bottom. Pour warm glaze slowly over cake. Allow to cool completely and serve.